Includes all animals of the Bos and Bison genus
Animal Identification Number (AIN)
- AIN ear tags begin with an official country code followed by an additional 12 digits; 15 digits in total. The official U.S. country code is ‘840’.
- In compliance with federal law, AIN tags must display the U.S. shield if applied to an animal March 11, 2015 or after
- May be purchased from most ear tag distributors
- 4-H tags available by contacting your county extension office
- 15-character tags beginning with the letters ‘USA’ or manufacturer-coded tags beginning with any number between 900 – 998 are only official if applied to the animal prior to March 11, 2015
National Uniform Ear-tagging System (NUES)
- NUES ear tags begin with an official state number followed by three letters and then four numbers. The official state number for Minnesota is ’41’.
- Silver metal NUES tags may be purchased from Ketchum Manufacturing (minimum order 100 tags) by calling 800-222-0460 or National Band & Tag Company (minimum order 100 tags for producers; 1000 tags for veterinarians) by calling 859-261-2035.
- Silver metal NUES tags may be available from your veterinarian.
- Orange metal NUES Brucellosis Vaccination tags can be ordered at no cost from the Board (while supplies last) by calling 651-201-6836 or using the online tag order form.
- Orange brucellosis vaccination tags may only be used by accredited veterinarians and applied to cattle and bison.
- Plastic NUES tags may be purchased from Leedstone by calling 877-608-3877 or from the Minnesota Dairy Herd Improvement Association by calling 800-827-3442.
- In compliance with federal law, NUES tags must display the U.S. shield if applied to an animal March 11, 2015 or after.
American Identification Number
- In compliance with federal law, these tags are only official if applied to the animal prior to March 11, 2015
- Combines ‘USA’ with 8 or 9 digits
- Includes the National Farm Animal Identification and Records (FAIR)
- Administered by Holstein Association USA, Inc.
Limited Movement: Breed Registry Tattoos and Tags
Valid only for movement within Minnesota and import from the following states:
- South Dakota
Acceptable if accompanied by documentation listing the breed registration number. Pending registrations are not acceptable.
Limited Movement: USDA-Approved Backtag
Valid only for movement of cull cattle being imported from an out-of-state market to a state/federal approved market.