The Minnesota Board of Animal Health (BAH) is a state agency charged with protecting the health of domestic animals in Minnesota. The BAH offers non-paid externships for students studying veterinary medicine to supplement their formal education with first-hand experience protecting public and animal health. Our externship program is designed to offer students an opportunity to work with the animal agriculture industry and the role our staff play in managing programs to control and eradicate animal disease.
- Eligibility: An applicant for this externship shall:
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university studying veterinary medicine.
- Fulfill required academic credits for an externship at the BAH.
- Be available to log 80 hours during the two-week externship rotation.
- Be able to provide their own transportation to the BAH office and field sites.
Selection: To be selected for a BAH externship, an applicant should:
- Complete and submit the externship application form.
- If one of the rotations has several applicants, be available for a brief interview.
- Qualify for all eligibility requirements.
Expectations: An applicant agrees to:
- Comply with all agency and state policies and procedures while representing the BAH.
- Understand they will not receive compensation during the externship.
- Keep certain information confidential and not disclose it to anyone outside of the agency.
- Perform all required tasks to the best of their ability under the supervision of a BAH staff member.
- Complete a post-externship evaluation on their experience with the BAH.
- Quick tips:
- A good amount of driving is required and you’ll need to use your own vehicle. (some drives are two hours, one-way)
- Dress for farm work when you’re scheduled for field rotations.
- Arrive on your first day with plenty of questions.
The 2018 Externship Application period is open! Please apply before November 1, 2017 by using the form below.
|2018 two-week rotations:|
|Monday, March 26, 2018 to Friday, April 6, 2018|
|Monday, July 16, 2018 to Friday, July 27, 2018|
|Monday, September 10, 2018 to Friday, September 21, 2018|